Reddit Users' Questions and Concerns about Anesthesia
Keywords:Social Media, Facebook, Reddit, Twitter, Anesthesia
Background: Patients utilize social media in search of support networks. Reddit is one of the most popular social media sites and allows users to anonymously connect. Anesthesia patients are actively using Reddit to discuss their treatment options and experiences within the medical system.
Methods: Posts published on an active Reddit forum on Anesthesia (i.e., /r/Anesthesia) were used. Big Query was used to collect posts from /r/Anesthesia. We collected 3,288 posts published between December 2015 and August 2019. We collected a control group of 3,288 posts from a Reddit forum not related to Anesthesia. Using latent Dirichlet allocation (LDA) we extracted 20 topics from our data set. The LDA topic themes most associated with posts in /r/Anesthesia compared to the control group were determined.
Results: LDA analysis of posts in /r/Anesthesia relative to a control group produced 6 distinct categories of posts (Table 1). The posts most associated with /r/Anesthesia when compared to a control group were posts belonging to the “Physician-Patient Experience” category (Cohen’s d= 0.389) while the posts least associated with /r/Anesthesia were from the “Uncertainties” category of posts (Cohen’s d= 0.147). Example experiences from members of the /r/Anesthesia forum highlight subjective experiences of patients undergoing anesthesia.
Conclusions: The language used on social media can provide insights into an individual's experience with anesthesia and inform physicians about patient concerns. Anesthesiologists are poised to address these concerns and prevent anonymous misinformation by providing verified physician insights on the forum /r/Anesthesia.
Gottschalk A, Van Aken H, Zenz M, Standl T. [Is anesthesia dangerous?]. Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2011;108(27):469-474. German.
Smith G, D'Cruz JR, Rondeau B, Goldman J. General Anesthesia for Surgeons. Treasure Island, FL: StatPearls Publishing; 2022.
Eberhart L, Aust H, Schuster M, Sturm T, Gehling M, Euteneuer F, et al. Preoperative anxiety in adults - a cross-sectional study on specific fears and risk factors. BMC Psychiatry. 2020;20(1):140. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12888-020-02552-w
Walker EMK, Bell M, Cook TM, Grocott MPW, Moonesinghe SR. Patient reported outcome of adult perioperative anaesthesia in the United Kingdom: a cross-sectional observational study. Br J Anaesth. 2016;117(6):758-766. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/aew381
Celik F, Edipoglu IS. Evaluation of preoperative anxiety and fear of anesthesia using APAIS score. Eur J Med Res. 2018;23(1):41. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s40001-018-0339-4
Rupert DJ, Moultrie RR, Read JG, Amoozegar JB, Bornkessel AS, O'Donoghue AC, et al. Perceived healthcare provider reactions to patient and caregiver use of online health communities. Patient Educ Couns. 2014;96(3):320-326. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2014.05.015
Asch JM, Asch DA, Klinger EV, Marks J, Sadek N, Merchant RM. Google search histories of patients presenting to an emergency department: an observational study. BMJ Open. 2019;9(2):e024791. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2018-024791
Chen J, Wang Y. Social Media Use for Health Purposes: Systematic Review. J Med Internet Res. 2021;23(5):e17917. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2196/17917
Sumayyia MD, Al-Madaney MM, Almousawi FH. Health information on social media. Perceptions, attitudes, and practices of patients and their companions. Saudi Med J. 2019;40(12):1294-1298. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15537/smj.2019.12.24682
Surani Z, Hirani R, Elias A, Quisenberry L, Varon J, Surani S, et al. Social media usage among health care providers. BMC Res Notes. 2017;10(1):654. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s13104-017-2993-y
ReferralMD. 24 stats on how social media has impacted the healthcare industry. Available from: https://getreferralmd.com/2013/09/healthcare-social-media-statistics/. Last updated May 9, 2022.
Statista. Facebook: quarterly number of MAU worldwide 2008-2022. Available from: https://www.statista.com/statistics/264810/number-of-monthly-active-facebook-users-worldwide/. Last updated October 27, 2022.
Statista. Instagram: number of global users 2020-2025. Available from: https://www.statista.com/statistics/183585/instagram-number-of-global-users/. Last updated May 23, 2022.
Grajales FJ 3rd, Sheps S, Ho K, Novak-Lauscher H, Eysenbach G. Social media: a review and tutorial of applications in medicine and health care. J Med Internet Res. 2014;16(2):e13. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.2912
Wong XL, Liu RC, Sebaratnam DF. Evolving role of Instagram in #medicine. Intern Med J. 2019;49(10):1329-1332. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/imj.14448
Han GK, Zhu D, Kothari N. Strategic use of Twitter as a source of health information: a pilot study with textual analysis of health tweets. Inform Health Soc Care. 2019;44(4):422-437. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/17538157.2019.1656207
Kong W, Song S, Zhao YC, Zhu Q, Sha L. TikTok as a Health Information Source: Assessment of the Quality of Information in Diabetes-Related Videos. J Med Internet Res. 2021;23(9):e30409. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2196/30409
Thomas J, Prabhu AV, Heron DE, Beriwal S. Reddit and Radiation Therapy: A Descriptive Analysis of Posts and Comments Over 7 Years by Patients and Health Care Professionals. Adv Radiat Oncol. 2019;4(2):345-353. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adro.2019.01.007
Foufi V, Timakum T, Gaudet-Blavignac C, Lovis C, Song M. Mining of Textual Health Information from Reddit: Analysis of Chronic Diseases With Extracted Entities and Their Relations. J Med Internet Res. 2019;21(6):e12876. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2196/12876
Andy A. Understanding user communication around loneliness on online forums. PLoS One. 2021;16(9):e0257791. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0257791
Andy A, Andy U. Understanding Communication in an Online Cancer Forum: Content Analysis Study. JMIR Cancer. 2021;7(3):e29555. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2196/29555
Andy AU, Guntuku SC, Adusumalli S, Asch DA, Groeneveld PW, Ungar LH, et al. Predicting Cardiovascular Risk Using Social Media Data: Performance Evaluation of Machine-Learning Models. JMIR Cardio. 2021;5(1):e24473. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2196/24473
Okon E, Rachakonda V, Hong HJ, Callison-Burch C, Lipoff JB. Natural language processing of Reddit data to evaluate dermatology patient experiences and therapeutics. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2020;83(3):803-808. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaad.2019.07.014
Record RA, Silberman WR, Santiago JE, Ham T. I Sought It, I Reddit: Examining Health Information Engagement Behaviors among Reddit Users. J Health Commun. 2018;23(5):470-476. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/10810730.2018.1465493
Fernandes S, Bernardino J. What is bigquery? Poster presented at: 19th International Database Engineering & Applications Symposium; 2015 July 13-15; Yokohama, Japan. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/2790755.2790797
Blei, D.M., Ng, A.Y. and Jordan, M.I. Latent Dirichlet Allocation. J Mach Learn Res. 2003;3:993-1022
Tylee MJ, Rubenfeld GD, Wijeysundera D, Sklar MC, Hussain S, Adhikari NKJ. Anesthesiologist to Patient Communication: A Systematic Review. JAMA Netw Open. 2020;3(11):e2023503. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.23503
Sehmbi H, Wong J, Wong D. Perspectives on ambulatory anesthesia: the patient’s point of view. Ambulatory Anesthesia. 2015;2:1-9 DOI: https://doi.org/10.2147/AA.S53277
Beaulieu P. [Anesthetic implications of recreational drug use]. Can J Anaesth. 2017;64(12):1236-1264. Canadian French. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s12630-017-0975-0
Moran S, Isa J, Steinemann S. Perioperative management in the patient with substance abuse. Surg Clin North Am. 2015;95(2):417-428. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.suc.2014.11.001
George RB, Lozada MJ. [Anesthesiologists, it's time to get social!]. Can J Anaesth. 2017;64(12):1169-1175. Canadian French. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s12630-017-0976-z
Schwenk ES, Chu LF, Gupta RK, Mariano ER. How Social Media is Changing the Practice of Regional Anesthesiology. Curr Anesthesiol Rep. 2017;7(2):238-245. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s40140-017-0213-x
Kiran S, Sethi N. Anaesthesiologist and social media: Walking the fine line. Indian J Anaesth. 2018;62(10):743-746. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4103/ija.IJA_449_18
- 2023-02-20 (2)
- 2022-12-31 (1)
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Khalid El-Jack, Korey Henderson, Anietie Andy, Lauren Southwick
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- The Author retains copyright in the Work, where the term “Work” shall include all digital objects that may result in subsequent electronic publication or distribution.
- Upon acceptance of the Work, the author shall grant to the Publisher the right of first publication of the Work.
- The Author shall grant to the Publisher and its agents the nonexclusive perpetual right and license to publish, archive, and make accessible the Work in whole or in part in all forms of media now or hereafter known under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License or its equivalent, which, for the avoidance of doubt, allows others to copy, distribute, and transmit the Work under the following conditions:
- Attribution—other users must attribute the Work in the manner specified by the author as indicated on the journal Web site; with the understanding that the above condition can be waived with permission from the Author and that where the Work or any of its elements is in the public domain under applicable law, that status is in no way affected by the license.
- The Author is able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the nonexclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the Work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), as long as there is provided in the document an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post online a prepublication manuscript (but not the Publisher’s final formatted PDF version of the Work) in institutional repositories or on their Websites prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work. Any such posting made before acceptance and publication of the Work shall be updated upon publication to include a reference to the Publisher-assigned DOI (Digital Object Identifier) and a link to the online abstract for the final published Work in the Journal.
- Upon Publisher’s request, the Author agrees to furnish promptly to Publisher, at the Author’s own expense, written evidence of the permissions, licenses, and consents for use of third-party material included within the Work, except as determined by Publisher to be covered by the principles of Fair Use.
- The Author represents and warrants that:
- the Work is the Author’s original work;
- the Author has not transferred, and will not transfer, exclusive rights in the Work to any third party;
- the Work is not pending review or under consideration by another publisher;
- the Work has not previously been published;
- the Work contains no misrepresentation or infringement of the Work or property of other authors or third parties; and
- the Work contains no libel, invasion of privacy, or other unlawful matter.
- The Author agrees to indemnify and hold Publisher harmless from the Author’s breach of the representations and warranties contained in Paragraph 6 above, as well as any claim or proceeding relating to Publisher’s use and publication of any content contained in the Work, including third-party content.
Enforcement of copyright
The IJMS takes the protection of copyright very seriously.
If the IJMS discovers that you have used its copyright materials in contravention of the license above, the IJMS may bring legal proceedings against you seeking reparation and an injunction to stop you using those materials. You could also be ordered to pay legal costs.
If you become aware of any use of the IJMS' copyright materials that contravenes or may contravene the license above, please report this by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you become aware of any material on the website that you believe infringes your or any other person's copyright, please report this by email to email@example.com