Research Grant Proposal Writing Course for Students in Higher Institutions
Keywords:Research Proposal, Funding Opportunities, Proposal for Funding, Research Grant , Proposal Writing
Research grant proposals have become part of the everyday life of every scientist working in the field of life sciences. Although most early career researchers begin working on research grant proposals during their doctorate, laying the foundation of this complicated task should occur during their undergraduate training. This editorial serves as an introduction into research grant proposal writing for students enrolled in higher education and tackles subjects such as choosing a research topic and writing a successful grant application, as well as possible challenges and funding opportunities that we considered appropriate for students and early career researchers.
Philippine Council for Health Research and Development (PCHRD). Research and Development Grant. Available from: https://www.pchrd.dost.gov.ph/news_and_updates/pchrd-startup-research-grant-program/
Sacred Heart University Library. Organizing Academic Research Papers: Choosing a Title. Available from: https://library.sacredheart.edu/c.php?g=29803&p=185911. Cited Oct 1, 2021.
DMSFI Research Manual, Revised Edition, 2020. The Official Research Manual of the Davao Medical School Foundation, Inc., Davao City Philippines. (Unpublished).
Sachev R. How to write the background of your study. Available from: https://www.editage.com/insights/how-to-write-the-background-of-your-study.
Enago Academy. What is Background in a Research Paper?. Available from: https://www.enago.com/academy/what-is-background-in-a-research-paper/.
McCombes S. How to write a Literature Review. Scribbr. Available from: https://www.scribbr.com/dissertation/literature-review/.
Enago Academy. Literature Review Tips for the Introduction and Discussion Sections. Available from: https://www.enago.com/academy/literature-review-tips-for-the-introduction-and-discussion-sections/.
Rocco TS, Plakhotnik MS. Literature reviews, conceptual frameworks, and theoretical frameworks: Terms, functions, and distinctions. Hum Resour Dev Rev. 2009;8(1):120-30.
Farrugia P, Petrisor BA, Farrokhyar F, Bhandari M. Practical tips for surgical research: Research questions, hypotheses and objectives. Can J Surg. 2010;53(4):278-81.
Saint-Germain MA. PPA 696 Research Methods Data Collection Strategies Ii: Qualitative Research. Available from: https://web.csulb.edu/~msaintg/ppa696/696quali.htm#qualitative.
McCombes S. How to write a hypothesis. Scribbr. Available from: https://www.scribbr.com/research-process/hypotheses/.
World Health Organization (WHO). Research and Health. Available from: https://www.who.int/ethics/research/en/. Cited Oct 1, 2021.
Nuffield Bioethics. The Ethics of Research Involving animals. Available from: https://www.nuffieldbioethics.org/assets/pdfs/The-ethics-of-research-involving-animals-full-report.pdf.
Declaration of Helsinki 2008. Ethical Principles for Medical Research Involving Human Subjects. Available from: https://www.wma.net/what-we-do/medical-ethics/declaration-of-helsinki/doh-oct2008/.
The Mayfield Handbook of Technical and Scientific Writing. Section 4.2.12. Available from: http://www.mit.edu/course/21/21.guide/grf-ttab.htm.
Darmouth University. Preparing a Budget for a Research Grant Proposal. Available from: https://www.dartmouth.edu/osp/pre-award-development/budget/
The Association for Medical Education in Europe (AMEE) Student Initiatives Grant. Available from: https://amee.org/AMEE/Grants/Student_Grants_Landing.aspx
The Association for Medical Education in Europe (AMEE) Research Grant Award Program. Available from: https://amee.org/awards-prizes/research-grant-award-programme.
Amgen Scholars Program. Available from: https://www. http://www.amgenscholars.com/
American Society of Hematology (ASH) Awards for Medical Students and Early-Career Investigators. Available from: https://www.hematology.org/awards/medical-student
European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO) Courses on Medical Oncology for Medical Students. Available from: https://www.esmo.org/meetings/esmo-eso-courses-on-medical-oncology-for-medical-students to discover this opportunity
Elsevier’s Researcher Academy. Available from: https://researcheracademy.elsevier.com.
The Web of Science Academy. Available from: https://clarivate.com/webofsciencegroup/solutions/web-of-science-academy/.
Nahian A, Suteja RC, Shellah D, Egan C, Găman M-A, Bonilla-Escobar FJ. The State of Learning Patterns within Medical Education in a Post-pandemic World: Reflection from IJMS Authors and an Overview of the IJMS Volume 10 Issue 3. Int J Med Stud. 2022;10(3):233-5.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Genevieve Dable-Tupas, Victoria Toralba-Lupase, Juan C. Puyana, Mihnea-Alexandru Gaman
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- The Author retains copyright in the Work, where the term “Work” shall include all digital objects that may result in subsequent electronic publication or distribution.
- Upon acceptance of the Work, the author shall grant to the Publisher the right of first publication of the Work.
- The Author shall grant to the Publisher and its agents the nonexclusive perpetual right and license to publish, archive, and make accessible the Work in whole or in part in all forms of media now or hereafter known under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License or its equivalent, which, for the avoidance of doubt, allows others to copy, distribute, and transmit the Work under the following conditions:
- Attribution—other users must attribute the Work in the manner specified by the author as indicated on the journal Web site; with the understanding that the above condition can be waived with permission from the Author and that where the Work or any of its elements is in the public domain under applicable law, that status is in no way affected by the license.
- The Author is able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the nonexclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the Work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), as long as there is provided in the document an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post online a prepublication manuscript (but not the Publisher’s final formatted PDF version of the Work) in institutional repositories or on their Websites prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work. Any such posting made before acceptance and publication of the Work shall be updated upon publication to include a reference to the Publisher-assigned DOI (Digital Object Identifier) and a link to the online abstract for the final published Work in the Journal.
- Upon Publisher’s request, the Author agrees to furnish promptly to Publisher, at the Author’s own expense, written evidence of the permissions, licenses, and consents for use of third-party material included within the Work, except as determined by Publisher to be covered by the principles of Fair Use.
- The Author represents and warrants that:
- the Work is the Author’s original work;
- the Author has not transferred, and will not transfer, exclusive rights in the Work to any third party;
- the Work is not pending review or under consideration by another publisher;
- the Work has not previously been published;
- the Work contains no misrepresentation or infringement of the Work or property of other authors or third parties; and
- the Work contains no libel, invasion of privacy, or other unlawful matter.
- The Author agrees to indemnify and hold Publisher harmless from the Author’s breach of the representations and warranties contained in Paragraph 6 above, as well as any claim or proceeding relating to Publisher’s use and publication of any content contained in the Work, including third-party content.
Enforcement of copyright
The IJMS takes the protection of copyright very seriously.
If the IJMS discovers that you have used its copyright materials in contravention of the license above, the IJMS may bring legal proceedings against you seeking reparation and an injunction to stop you using those materials. You could also be ordered to pay legal costs.
If you become aware of any use of the IJMS' copyright materials that contravenes or may contravene the license above, please report this by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you become aware of any material on the website that you believe infringes your or any other person's copyright, please report this by email to email@example.com