The Experience and Perplexities of the COVID-19 Situation in Pakistan
Keywords:COVID-19, Medical Education, Medical Students, Therapy, COVID-19 Testing
The COVID-19 pandemic has provided unprecedented times for people from all walks of life. For the medical student community it is no different. This global health emergency has presented students with circumstances that have required flexibility and constant adaptation with regard to formal medical education. This short commentary draws on personal experience and aims to elucidate the numerous challenges faced by medical students within the context of a low-middle-income country (LMIC) (Pakistan), whilst also highlighting surprising positives that have emerged from an otherwise overwhelming situation.
Liu, B. D. Being an American 2nd Year Medical Student in the COVID-19 Pandemic. Int J Med Students. 2020 Jan-Apr;8(1): 77-8.
Kalra T, Kalra N. COVID-19: Where Do We Go from Here? An Experience from Medical Students in India. Int J Med Students. 2020 Jan-Apr;8(1):66-7.
Pakistan Today. 8,000 healthcare workers have contracted Covid-19. Available from: https://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2020/10/21/8000-healthcare-workers-have-contracted-covid-19. Last updated October 21, 2020; cited Oct 25, 2020.
Arab News. Inside the CanSino Phase 3 COVID-19 vaccine trial at Pakistan’s Shifa Hospital. Available from: https://www.arabnews.com/node/1762701/world. Last updated November 13, 2020; cited Dec 12, 2020.
Feng H, Liu Y, Lv M, Zhong J. A case report of COVID-19 with false negative RT-PCR test: necessity of chest CT. Japanese Journal of Radiology. 2020 Apr;38(5): 409-10.
West CP, Montori VM, Sampathkumar P. COVID-19 Testing: The Threat of False-Negative Results. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2020 Apr 11;95(6):1127-9.
Winichakoon P, Chaiwarith R, Liwsrisakun C, Salee P, Goonna A, Limsukon A, et al. Negative Nasopharyngeal and Oropharyngeal Swabs Do Not Rule Out COVID-19. Journal of Clinical Microbiology. 2020 Apr 23;58(5):e00297-20.
Ai T, Yang Z, Hou H, Zhan C, Chen C, Lv W, et al. Correlation of Chest CT and RT-PCR Testing for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in China: A Report of 1014 Cases. Radiology. 2020 Feb 26;296(2):e32-e40.
Geo News. Punjab govt starts monitoring sale, distribution of COVID-19 drug Dexamethasone. Available from:https://www.geo.tv/latest/293522-punjab-govt-starts-monitoring-sale-distribution-of-covid-19-drug-dexamethasone. Last updated June 17, 2020; cited Aug 24, 2020.
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- The Author retains copyright in the Work, where the term “Work” shall include all digital objects that may result in subsequent electronic publication or distribution.
- Upon acceptance of the Work, the author shall grant to the Publisher the right of first publication of the Work.
- The Author shall grant to the Publisher and its agents the nonexclusive perpetual right and license to publish, archive, and make accessible the Work in whole or in part in all forms of media now or hereafter known under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License or its equivalent, which, for the avoidance of doubt, allows others to copy, distribute, and transmit the Work under the following conditions:
- Attribution—other users must attribute the Work in the manner specified by the author as indicated on the journal Web site; with the understanding that the above condition can be waived with permission from the Author and that where the Work or any of its elements is in the public domain under applicable law, that status is in no way affected by the license.
- The Author is able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the nonexclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the Work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), as long as there is provided in the document an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post online a prepublication manuscript (but not the Publisher’s final formatted PDF version of the Work) in institutional repositories or on their Websites prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work. Any such posting made before acceptance and publication of the Work shall be updated upon publication to include a reference to the Publisher-assigned DOI (Digital Object Identifier) and a link to the online abstract for the final published Work in the Journal.
- Upon Publisher’s request, the Author agrees to furnish promptly to Publisher, at the Author’s own expense, written evidence of the permissions, licenses, and consents for use of third-party material included within the Work, except as determined by Publisher to be covered by the principles of Fair Use.
- The Author represents and warrants that:
- the Work is the Author’s original work;
- the Author has not transferred, and will not transfer, exclusive rights in the Work to any third party;
- the Work is not pending review or under consideration by another publisher;
- the Work has not previously been published;
- the Work contains no misrepresentation or infringement of the Work or property of other authors or third parties; and
- the Work contains no libel, invasion of privacy, or other unlawful matter.
- The Author agrees to indemnify and hold Publisher harmless from the Author’s breach of the representations and warranties contained in Paragraph 6 above, as well as any claim or proceeding relating to Publisher’s use and publication of any content contained in the Work, including third-party content.
Enforcement of copyright
The IJMS takes the protection of copyright very seriously.
If the IJMS discovers that you have used its copyright materials in contravention of the license above, the IJMS may bring legal proceedings against you seeking reparation and an injunction to stop you using those materials. You could also be ordered to pay legal costs.
If you become aware of any use of the IJMS' copyright materials that contravenes or may contravene the license above, please report this by email to email@example.com
If you become aware of any material on the website that you believe infringes your or any other person's copyright, please report this by email to firstname.lastname@example.org