Reducing the Risks of Nuclear War—the Role of Health Professionals
Keywords:Nuclear war, Risk, War, Global issues, Global health, Healthcare professional, Conflict, Nuclear bomb, Advocacy, World issues, Planetary health
Science and Security Board, Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists . A time of unprecedented danger: it is 90 seconds to midnight. 2023 Doomsday Clock Statement. Jan 24, 2023. Accessed June 1, 2023. https://thebulletin.org/doomsday-clock/current-time/
2022. Future Generations Counting on Our Commitment to Step Back from Abyss, Lift Cloud of Nuclear Annihilation for Good, Secretary-General Tells Review Conference, Press Release SG/SM/21394. Aug 1, 2022, Accessed July 10, 2023 https://press.un.org/en/2022/sgsm21394.doc.htm
Tollefson J. Is nuclear war more likely after Russia's suspension of the New START treaty? Nature 2023; 615: DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/d41586-023-00679-w
2005 Review Conference of the Parties to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT). May 2–27, 2005. Accessed June 2, 2023. https://www.un.org/en/conf/npt/2005/npttreaty.html
Mukhatzhanova 10th NPT Review Conference: why it was doomed and how it almost succeeded. Arms Control Association. October 2022. Accessed June 2, 2023 https://www.armscontrol.org/act/2022-10/features/10th-npt-review-conference-why-doomed-almost-succeeded
Lewis P, Williams H, Pelopidas, Aghlani S. Too close for comfort, cases of near nuclear use and options for policy. Chatham House Report. April, 2014. Accessed June 1, 2023.
Bivens M. Nuclear famine. IPPNW. August, 2022. Accessed June 1, 2023. https://www.ippnw.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/ENGLISH-Nuclear-Famine-Report-Final-bleed-marks.pdf
Xia L, Robock A, Scherrer K, et al. Global food insecurity and famine from reduced crop, marine fishery and livestock production due to climate disruption from nuclear war soot injection. Nat Food 2022; 3: 586–96. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/s43016-022-00573-0
Helfand I, Lewis P, Haines A. Reducing the risks of nuclear war to humanity. Lancet 2022; 399: 1097–98. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(22)00422-6
Nobel Prize Outreach AB. International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War—facts. 1985. Accessed June 1, 2023. https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/peace/1985/physicians/facts/
UN Office for Disarmament Affairs. Treaties Database. Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons, status of the Treaty. January 2021. Accessed June 1, 2023. https://treaties.unoda.org/t/tpnw
Center for Arms Control and Non-Proliferation. No first use: frequently asked questions. Accessed June 2, 2023. https://armscontrolcenter.org/issues/no-first-use/no-first-use-frequently-asked-questions/
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Chris Zielinski
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- The Author retains copyright in the Work, where the term “Work” shall include all digital objects that may result in subsequent electronic publication or distribution.
- Upon acceptance of the Work, the author shall grant to the Publisher the right of first publication of the Work.
- The Author shall grant to the Publisher and its agents the nonexclusive perpetual right and license to publish, archive, and make accessible the Work in whole or in part in all forms of media now or hereafter known under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License or its equivalent, which, for the avoidance of doubt, allows others to copy, distribute, and transmit the Work under the following conditions:
- Attribution—other users must attribute the Work in the manner specified by the author as indicated on the journal Web site; with the understanding that the above condition can be waived with permission from the Author and that where the Work or any of its elements is in the public domain under applicable law, that status is in no way affected by the license.
- The Author is able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the nonexclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the Work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), as long as there is provided in the document an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post online a prepublication manuscript (but not the Publisher’s final formatted PDF version of the Work) in institutional repositories or on their Websites prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work. Any such posting made before acceptance and publication of the Work shall be updated upon publication to include a reference to the Publisher-assigned DOI (Digital Object Identifier) and a link to the online abstract for the final published Work in the Journal.
- Upon Publisher’s request, the Author agrees to furnish promptly to Publisher, at the Author’s own expense, written evidence of the permissions, licenses, and consents for use of third-party material included within the Work, except as determined by Publisher to be covered by the principles of Fair Use.
- The Author represents and warrants that:
- the Work is the Author’s original work;
- the Author has not transferred, and will not transfer, exclusive rights in the Work to any third party;
- the Work is not pending review or under consideration by another publisher;
- the Work has not previously been published;
- the Work contains no misrepresentation or infringement of the Work or property of other authors or third parties; and
- the Work contains no libel, invasion of privacy, or other unlawful matter.
- The Author agrees to indemnify and hold Publisher harmless from the Author’s breach of the representations and warranties contained in Paragraph 6 above, as well as any claim or proceeding relating to Publisher’s use and publication of any content contained in the Work, including third-party content.
Enforcement of copyright
The IJMS takes the protection of copyright very seriously.
If the IJMS discovers that you have used its copyright materials in contravention of the license above, the IJMS may bring legal proceedings against you seeking reparation and an injunction to stop you using those materials. You could also be ordered to pay legal costs.
If you become aware of any use of the IJMS' copyright materials that contravenes or may contravene the license above, please report this by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you become aware of any material on the website that you believe infringes your or any other person's copyright, please report this by email to email@example.com